In this episode, we hear a recording of a virtual event from last month that focused on The History of Anti-Asian Violence in the U.S. We also talk about what we’ve been reading.
In this episode, Abby and Abby talked about reading:
- The Beauty in Breaking by Michele Harper (also mentioned plans to read This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay)
- Lock In by John Scalzi (with companion novel Head On)
Next, we’ll hear a recording of a virtual event from May called The History of Anti-Asian Violence in the U.S.
The recent wave of anti-Asian hate crimes, coupled with mass shootings in Atlanta and Indianapolis that targeted a large number of Asian victims, have gained attention in the mainstream media, but the coverage also exposed widespread ignorance of the history of Asian Americans’ presence in the U.S., along with the acts of mass violence, harassment and discrimination that they faced. Professor Sylvia Chong, Director of the Asian Pacific American Studies Program at the University of Virginia, joined us to offer a brief history of anti-Asian violence in the U.S., to help us understand our current moment of crisis
Some of the resources Dr. Chong mentioned in her presentation:
- Minor Feelings : An Asian American Reckoning by Cathy Park Hong
- On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous: a Novel by Ocean Vuong
- Crying in H Mart : a Memoir by Michelle Zauner
- Interior Chinatown by Charles Yu
- Strangers From a Different Shore : A History of Asian Americans by Ronald Takaki (downloadable audiobook)
- Asian Americans (PBS documentary) (DVD)
Items in UVA’s catalog available through ILL
- Asian American Dreams by Helen Zia
- The Karma of Brown Folk by Vijay Prashad
- Who Killed Vincent Chin? (DVD)
- Vincent Who? (DVD)
Japanese Breakfast (band)
Follow JMRL’s progress through the tiers of the JMRL COVID-19 Response Plan.
For branch details:
If you have books you’d like to recommend we read and discuss please email us at email@example.com.
This podcast is made possible through generous support from the Friends of the Library. If you’d like to learn more or join the friends please head to their website.