On this episode we re-air a recording first shared in Season 2 Episode 12. In this recording, child psychologists Dr. Marianne Celano and Dr. Marietta Collins read and discuss their book Something Happened In Our Town: A Child’s Story about Racial Injustice. They visited the Central library on Tuesday, January 22, 2019, the National Day of Racial Healing. They offer techniques for talking about difficult racial issues with children and answered questions from the audience.
First, Katie and Abby talk about what they’ve been reading.
- Katie read the Dublin Murder Squad series by Tana French (specifically The Trespasser)
- Abby read Rabid: A Cultural History of the World’s Most Diabolical Virus by Bill Wasik
Next, we hear a recording from child psychologists Dr. Marianne Celano and Dr. Marietta Collins as they read and discuss their book Something Happened In Our Town: A Child’s Story about Racial Injustice.
- Anastasia Higginbotham’s books
- Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together In the Cafeteria? by Beverly Daniel Tatum
- Magination Press – Additional resources related to the book
If you have books you’d like to recommend we read and discuss please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This podcast is made possible through generous support from the Friends of the Library. If you’d like to learn more or join the friends please head to their website.